Knowledgebase article 45
EMAIL: Automatically forwarding student email
You can forward messages to another external email account if you choose, although the IT Services department doesn't recommend it. We recommend:
- Students do not forward email from the student.ufv.ca email system to a non-UFV email system.
- Students always use their UFV email address when contacting instructors.
- We can't guarantee that you will receive messages forwarded to another email system. A forwarded message could bounce if your inbox is full or otherwise unavailable, or it could be blocked altogether by a spam filter.
- Your external email provider domain may be blacklisted on the UFV spam filter system. UFV will not remove blacklisted domains. This means you may not be able to send from that email address to a UFV address.
- Email sent from a non-UFV email address to a UFV address may be blocked by our spam filters without notification to you or the recipient. Your instructor or other important recipient may not receive your email at all
- The UFV-assigned email address clearly identifies you as a student. For example, email from email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org may be flagged as spam in an instructor's inbox, and may be deleted unread.
- If you are submitting an assignment close to deadline, the UFV email system will get it to your instructor on time. Other email systems may delay sending email, which could cause assignments to be delivered late to your instructor’s inbox. This could result in deducted marks or worse, depending on your instructor's late assignment policy.
- If there is a problem with the UFV student email system that can be readily identified to instructors by IT Services. Non receipt or delay of a forwarded email address cannot be verified by IT Services for instructors.
- If there is a problem with your email forwarding reported to the IT Service Desk, the fix will be to remove the forwarding. Additional investigation will not be undertaken.
After reading above, if choose to forward your email please see the PDF instructions attached on how to forward email to your personal email in the Zimbra web interface.
- IT Service Desk
- Jul 16, 2019